Frequently Asked Questions

When are Intervention Fees due?

Fees are due on or before the 1st day of the month.

When is an Intervention Fee payment considered late?

Fees are considered late when received after the 15th day of the month.

Will a late notice be mailed out if a payment is not received by the 15th day of the month?

Yes. A quarterly late payment notice is automatically generated and mailed to the offender if the offender owes more than $10.00 to the Department.

How often is the account balance information updated?

Account balance information is updated nightly. A payment made today will be posted for inquiry the next day.

What is the website address to pay online?

Is there a way to get a refund?

Yes. A refund request can only be generated by Probation and Parole after the request is researched and approved.

Can payments be made in advance?


Will discharged offenders be able to access the IVR System, and website for account inquiry information?

Yes. Discharged offenders will be able to access the IVR system and website for account inquiry information by using their PIN (last four digits of their SSN) for up to one year AFTER their discharge date.

Are family and friends able to inquire about balance or payment information?


Can family and friends make a payment for an offender?

Yes. Any individual can make a payment towards an offender's account using the offender's DOC ID number.

Who do I call if there is a discrepancy on my account?

Please contact your Probation and Parole Officer.

What are the payment options?

  • You can access the department's Intervention Fees website at
  • Call 1-855-DOC-IFEE (1-855-362-4333) to connect to an Interactive Voice Response system that will take your payment over the phone.
  • You can return one of the payment vouchers along with a money order/cashiers check to: Department of Corrections, Attention: Offender Financial Services, PO Box 1848, Jefferson City, MO 65102.

What type of supervision fees can be viewed from the website?

  • Current Intervention fees
  • Past Intervention fees
  • Past Halfway House fees
  • Past Community Release Center fees
  • Past Electronic Monitoring fees

What type of supervision fees can a payment be applied to?

Your payment will be applied to your current intervention fees first and then any past debt you owe the department if applicable.

What is the Interactive Voice Response (IVR) System?

The IVR allows you to make a payment or check on account information by using the telephone.

How do I access the Interactive Voice Response (IVR) System?

You access the IVR system by calling 1-855-DOC-IFEE (1-855-362-4333)

What does the Interactive Voice Response (IVR) System offer?

  • Make a PAYMENT for current or past due supervision fees.
  • Check on PAST:
    • Intervention Fee debt
    • Electronic Monitoring debt
    • Halfway House debt
    • Community Release Center debt
  • Check on a deposit made to an incarcerated offender's account.
  • Check on CURRENT Intervention Fee account information.

What forms of payment are acceptable with a payment voucher?

  • Money order
  • Cashiers check

Can cash be sent in with a payment voucher?

No. Cash should NEVER be sent in with the payment voucher. Only money orders or cashiers checks can be mailed in with the payment voucher.

Who is the money order/cashiers check made out to?

Money order/cashiers checks are to be made out to the Missouri Department of Corrections.

Where do I mail the money order/cashiers check and payment voucher?

Department of Corrections
Attention: Offender Financial Services
PO Box 1848
Jefferson City, MO 65102

What happens if a DOC ID number is not included on the payment voucher?

Payment vouchers without the DOC ID number may be returned to the sender.

Where can I get more payment vouchers?

  • Print off the website
  • Obtain more from a Probation and Parole Office